RePL Course FAQ's

Your Frequently Asked Questions

About Our Intensive Course 

Your Frequently Asked Questions

Yes you read it right, the price is correct. We can afford to lower our price for this course as our overheads are lower when based in Warrnambool and we believe in passing those savings onto our students. 


The courses end qualification in the CASA certified Remote Pilot License (RePL). The intensive course is a 6 day face-to-face course that will run every 3 months from Monday to Satuday and is designed for organisations or individuals that want to get fully qualified in under a week (please see our calendar of availability for the next upcoming course) . Each course will be tailored to the students and course numbers, although, generally there will be 5 days of class-room theory at our head office in Warrnambool. 


All lectures will be covered in person by our instructors and alternatively to the online course this creates an environment with more time for questions and group discussion. An Aeronautical Radio Operator's Certificate (AROC) and English Language Proficiency assessment (ELP) will also be undertaken as part of the theory component of this course.  ​


The other day will be out at our local flying field where every student will get the opportunity to fly several aircraft and complete their required 5 hours of flight time.

About Our Online Course 

Your Frequently Asked Questions

This courses end qualification is the CASA certified Remote Pilot License (RePL) and consists of both online and face to face components.


It is set up as a series of modules delivered through our online learning management software, with online lectures forming the main part of the learning structure supported by other useful resources.


You can set your own pace for this course with up to 12 months to complete the online component with both online and telephone support available from our instructors. Once the online course is completed, and you have received your Aviation Reference Number (ARN) from CASA, you can then book in for your face to face component of the course which includes a theory revision session, theory exam, Aeronautical Radio Operators Certificate (AROC) and the practical flying component (minimum of 5 hours flight time).


The face to face component can be booked over a weekend or any two consecutive days where an instructor is available (weather permitting) and includes a night of accommodation. This course has been designed for flexibility and if two consecutive days are not possible due to other commitments we can offer two single days within the same month as an alternative.

How long are the courses?

Each of the courses vary in length with contact and non-contact hours:

Intensive course- 6 days face-to-face, all contact hours ​


Online course- Approximately 3 full days of non-contact hours, with 12 months to complete those hours. Additionally, 2 days on contact hours are required for exam revision, complete the theory exam and conduct flight training. ​


Type training course- Majority of type training courses are 1 day of practical flying only, with the exception of our multirotor up to 25KG course taking 1.5 days. These are all practical flying hours.​


AROC and ELP assessment- If an AROC is being completed alone, it will be no longer than 2 hours. For our online and intensive courses, the AROC is completed within the time frame of that particular course. ​​


Do you take group bookings?

Absolutely, please get in contact with us. We may also be able to accommodate and travel to you.  

I have never flown a drone before will I like it and how hard is it?

There is skill involved in flying a drone safely and reliably, however it is also a lot of fun. We tailor our flight packages individually by offering both dual and solo hours to suit each students skill and requirements ensuring that you achieve the highest level of skill in the minimum amount of flight time. You’ll be fine.


I have my PPL but I dont know how to fly drones, can you help?

We can, Victorian UAS can train you in all the practical aspects of flying an RPAS. We have a variety of different type training courses (see courses page) , including multirotor and fixed-wing aircraft with various different weight classes on offer to suit the specific student and tasks they intend to undertake in the RPAS industry. You need a minimum of 5 hours flight time before you can register for a Remote Pilot Certificate (RePL).


I’m a total ace with my drone, so I wont need to do the practical stuff right?

That’s great, with that level of skill you should sail through. To obtain an RePL you're required to have a minimum of 5 hours flight time. If you have recorded previous hours on your own drone, these can make up part of those hours and you're only require the hours to meet competency (we can have a play around with other aircraft though).


(Please note: All previous hours must be appropriately logged and inclusion of those hours is up to instructors discretion).


Do I need an RePL to fly my drone, what is considered a commercial operation?

If you're flying your drone for "sport or recreation"and to share videos with your friends, then the operation is not considered commercial. However, if you're flying for money or for any form of economic gain the operation is consider to be a commercial operation and require an RePL.

You can fly a sub 2KG drone commercially without an RePL in whats call the excluded category (for more details please follow the link to the CASA website). We offer a Introduction to Drones course which as the name suggests give you an overview of the aircraft and its components along with several hours behind the sticks. If you want to fly any aircraft above 2KG then you will require an RePL.

Do I need an ReOC to operate commercially?

Yes, if you're flying commercially outside of the excluded category (any aircraft above 2KG or any conditions outside the standard operating conditions) you are indeed required to operate under an Remote Operator's Certificate (ReOC). An RePL is an individual license while an ReOC is an organisational license.

A useful analogy of how an RePL and ReOC interact is that of a taxi company. A taxi company requires a business license to transport people which covers the entire organisation and each taxi driver working under this certification requires a commercial drivers license.​ The same is true for an ReOC and an RePL where the ReOC is the general company certification where multiple RePL certified pilots can work under.